Thursday, November 05, 2009

Dear department of transportation: YOU SUCK.

When my oldest started Kindergarten, (which made me unhappy to say the least)...the idea of sending her to school on the bus gave me a stomachache. I never thought I would be "that parent" standing out at the bus stop; I hated everything about the idea from the lack of seatbelts to the creepy old men that drove those things. However due to other adorable children (ahem) in our neighborhood, the idea of riding the bus eventually stormed into our household. I fought it for as long as I could, but I did indeed succumb to the beggings of a 5 yr old and allow her to step on that bus.

[Fast forward 4 years] Now all three of the munchkins are in school, and life has become simplified by riding that bus. While I am not happy that our bus route is the first one of the day and the last one in the afternoon, I still try to be grateful for having the capability to rely on public transportation when necessary.

[background info] My kids leave for school at 7:14 a.m. and return home at 2:56 p.m. (note that school is from 8:00 a.m. - 2:20 p.m.), not terrible but my kids are "second load" meaning they are the only route that has to wait until all the kids get dropped off first before being picked up from school (which is an extra 20-25 minutes of waiting). The fact that they have not changed this route in 4 years still pisses me off...my children are away from home much longer than they need to be already and yet they won't rotate the bus schedule so it's at least fair.

[fast forward to today]...imagine my surprise when the bus driver hands us a sheet with "bus stop changes", which also requires our children to be waiting at the corner of the neighborhood 5 minutes earlier than the new time.


OUR NEW TIME?! 7:00 a.m.

So let me get this straight...you already hoard my children before they've even had a chance to really wake up in the morning, you ditch them like leftovers in the afternoon, and now you want to start this whole process 15 minutes EARLIER?!

Look- let me put it this way, Mrs. "thank you for your patience in making this adjustment and ensuring your child's continued transportation needs are met" I have your number on speed dial and you are CRAZY if you woke up this morning thinking today is going to be a good day.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back--and way to dive in the deep end with NaBloPoMo!

    6:55 a.m. is INHUMANE. I had an hour-long bus ride morning and afternoon in 4th and 5th grades, still not sure I've recovered from that.

    ReplyDelete

Oh come on-- the least you can do is say HELLO!! You didn't come all this way to turn around and walk away, did you? DID YOU??